Friday, June 13, 2008

A Different Kind of Racing

June 3, 2008

I have been distracted by a different kind of racing lately. I had the opportunity to travel to Indianapolis, Indiana and attend the Indy 500. I went with my friend and business partner Libby Dalcamo. We got to go behind the scenes to assist the chiropractor of the racers and pit crews share Vemma and Verve with his clientele. What an amazing experience! On Friday we had pit passes and were able to see all the racers and pit crew up close as they got in a few practice laps. Unfortunately the weather turned very wet and a bit chilly. Bummer in that the practice laps were cut short and the race scheduled for that day was postponed to Saturday, but it was a bonus in that I got to wear my appropriately Vemma orange Ironman Arizona finishers jacket! Since it was slow I got to meet some of the pit crew. One was going to put some flames on Townsend Bell's helmet. Flames? I LOVE flames! I asked if it would be at all possible if he could cut some out for my helmet too! He said he would and send them to me, so hopefully I will have them for Kansas 70.3! How COOL is that!!!!
We were able to talk to several people about Vemma and Verve, but Danica didn't need an adjustment while we were there...bummer.

Getting to be there for the Indy 500 was just incredible. The jets flying over, Jim Neighbors singing and the sound and feel of the cars along with the masses of fans from every walk of life. I called several people to let them hear what I was experiencing. It was fun to watch car #99 and know that I would have matching flames. Libby and I had to leave at about lap 150 so we could get out before the masses and hit the road back for Kansas. We were listening to the race on the radio when Danica's day was ended by being run into in the pits. That really stunk! I did pick up a Danica shirt while I was there. It is just so cool that a woman gets to go that fast!

Last weekend I went out to the Kansas 70.3 race site and did a 3 hour brick. I rode for 2 hours on the bike course and then ran an hour trying to figure out the run course. I love the bike! It has several long steady climbs and rolls through the Kansas countryside. The roads are smooth and the descents are fast! The 3 out and back legs will make for a good challenging race.
I think I figured out the run course. It is 3 loops that wind around through a few campsites. I am a bit concerned about how congested it could get. We do run by several outhouse buildings in the campgrounds so that could come in handy. There are a few hills but no killers.

After my brick I went to an open water swim put on by the new triathlon club forming in Topeka. There is a YMCA camp with a lake perfect for swimming. I have ridden by the entrance to the camp for years but had never been there. Since I didn't have a swim on my schedule I just played around and swam with the slower swimmers doing their first open water swim. It was a good turnout and hopefully more sessions will be scheduled.
This Thursday night is the charter meeting for the new triathlon club, the Topeka Triathletes (T squared for short). The group helping form it is really making it take shape. After 20 years of triathlon it will be so fun to have a local club. Somehow I got selected to be on the news yesterday to help promote it. Stefano, who has really been the organizing force of the club, and I appeared on the 4pm local news in a 4 minute spot. I can't believe I did that! It was actually kind of fun and it was neat to see the inner workings of a news station. I have no idea what I said, but Stefano said I did a good job and he did too.

I am headed to Texas Motor Speedway this weekend to help out at the Indy race there. I just love the sound and feel of all that speed! I sure wish I could have my own pit crew at my races.

Update: June 13, 2008

It's official, I am an IndyCar race junkie! I spent last weekend at Texas Motor Speedway for the Learjet 550 and had a blast. We got to talk to a lot more people about Vemma/Verve and watched the race from the top of the trailer in the infield. I got a bit dizzy turning around in circles watching the cars go around.

I picked up my Coach, Karen Buxton, from the airport yesterday after she flew in from North Carolina for the Ironman Kansas 70.3 race this weekend. It should be a fun weekend! Hopefully the weather will cooperate on Sunday and the storms and tornado's will stay away. Last night Coach got exposed to Kansas weather as we found ourselves taking cover under a bank drive thru as the torrential rain and hail came pouring down and the tornado sirens were going off! We were both a little bummed after the storm passed that we didn't get to see an actual funnel.

Tonight we are putting on a transition clinic at the Topeka Tinman Triathlon race site. Tomorrow we pick up our packets, drop off our bikes in transition and get ready for Kansas 70.3! I am excited but am actually dealing with an unexpected injury that leaves my racing day a bit unsure. Last Friday, my right arm suddenly decided not to work as it should. It turns out I have TOS, Thoracic Output Syndrome. Basically the nerves that pass from my neck to my arm are being squished between my clavicle and first rib. I've got my 3rd PT appointment today but still have numbness and extreme weakness in my right arm. Should make for an interesting swim. I will try it out in the pool today and see if racing will be an option. Hmmmm, maybe I can still get into Buffalo Springs if Kansas was not meant to be.

2 comments:

Jerome Harrison said...

GOOD luck tomorrow, Leslie!!! GO! Jen H. :)

Ashley said...

Great update! sounds like you're all sorts of out-and-about!! Indy races, group swims, course testing... fun fun fun. hugs.