Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Austin 70.3 or BUST

Friday morning I hit the road for Austin. It’s hard to believe its October already. The weather has actually been beautiful here but I can’t wait to get to Texas and feel the heat again. I am definitely a warm weather girl! I just checked out weather.com for the Austin weekend forecast and the low Saturday night is 66 with a high of 89 on Sunday…mmmmm delicious!

Wow, I’ve got some catching up to do here on my blog! I have started posts many times but keep getting distracted. Following my Coaches workouts is about the only thing in my life I seem to be consistent at and able to complete lately.

I have spent the past several months playing, training, racing, and traveling. If I could be on the road every weekend I would. I just love to escape and see what all is out there.
Alas, my freedom is coming to an end and on October 13th (lucky day) I will start back on a real job as a programmer for the State of Kansas. Fortunately it will be only 32 hours a week. I tried for 24, but to get benefits I had to bump up to 32. Hopefully I will still have time to work my Vemma business and of course train. Having a set schedule again will be good for me and I will be making more money so I can keep traveling!

Races since my last post:
WIN for KC Women’s Triathlon – Smithville Lake, Missouri - August 9, 2008
What a blast! This was my first race with a swim post dead arm syndrome. It was only a 500 and was not pretty but I survived. Once on the bike I was able to make up the time and just had to hold on for the run. I love doing all women races. The support and enthusiasm of all the participants and volunteers is beyond fun and energetic. The race director, Clay Myers-Bowman, runs one heck of a race.

Accenture Chicago Triathlon – August 24, 2008
I am absolutely amazed how they were able to handle that many athletes! I’m glad I tried the elite wave but next time I think I’ll go back to the age groupers, at least then I have a shot at drafting someone on the swim! It was a very lonely in the water after everyone left me. After the swim I realized I could not get out of my wetsuit. I still don’t have the arm strength after my nerve injury to get that T1 top over my head. It was quite a wrestling match in transition! I have never been so glad to finally be on the bike.

NEMO Triathlon – Kirksville, MO – September 7, 2008
I love this race! The venue is great and there aren’t any races run better. I opted to wear my 20+ year old bibjohn wetsuit (it has aged remarkably well) so I would be able to get out of it. I have never swum so zig-zagged and crooked due to fog on the water and in my goggles. I felt strong on the bike but noticed that the road started getting extremely bumpy. BUMMER…a flat! Luckily I have been racing this year carrying a can of Vittoria Pit Stop. I had used it once on a training ride and was quite impressed. Unfortunately the hole was fairly large and foam was spewing out. I thought my day was done. Then I figured what the heck I’ll start riding and see how far I get. That stuff is amazing! Once I got rolling it sealed up and I was able to keep riding. I felt better on the run than I have the past couple years and managed to finish 1st in my age group even with the flat. Kristen Moore was there and blew away the field! I have loved watching her get stronger and faster these past few seasons. She has a fire and passion for the sport that is undeniable!

Irongirl Duathlon - Bloomington, MN – September 21, 2008
This race was on my birthday (#39) and my goal was to break into the top 3 since they give AWESOME stuff! I was back a ways on the first run but managed to make my way up to 3rd on the bike. Thankfully the 2nd run wasn’t any longer and I was able to squeak away with 3rd. It was an absolutely beautiful day that couldn’t have turned out any better!
Jerry MacNeil of Best of the US Championship Triathlon was there and invited me to represent Kansas on October 26th in Tempe, AZ! If I can swing it…I’m there!!!!!!!! How cool would that be for my first and last race of the year to be in Tempe Town Lake!

Up Next…Austin 70.3 – October 5, 2008
By golly I am bound and determined to complete a half ironman this year! That DNF at Kansas 70.3 must be redeemed! I am also totally excited to get to see Mary Eggers who will also be at Austin!

2 comments:

~Robyn~ said...

Good luck girl!!! And FINALLY you posted something! haha. Rock it out this weekend, I'll be thinking about you!

GoBigGreen said...

Have fun!! And welcome back to Blog-land:) Julia