Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Longhorn Half Recap

October 6, 2008

I'm on the road back to Kansas. It's a rainy drive from Dallas so far this morning. Yesterday the weather was perfect! The water temp was just wetsuit legal and there was enough cloud cover during the rest of the day to keep it from being a scorcher.

I am infamous for getting in one or two last potty stops before getting to the start line just in time and yesterday was no exception! Parking was a bit of an issue to say the least after we waited nearly an hour at 5:30 in the morning to get into the parking lot! The start was delayed a couple of times to ensure the racers were able to get set. I used the time to go thru the porta potty lines a few extra times. Unfortunately I could not hear the announcer any more once they moved from transition to the swim start. Heading over to the swim I heard them announce that wave 5 was next. UH OH! I am wave 6!!!!! I pulled up the wetsuit (the 20 year old relic) squeezed into my hot pink cap and licked my goggles as I ran down the hill weaving my way thru all the other racers lined up for their turn (there were 16 waves). It couldn't have worked out better! I made my way to the water entrance just as all the other pink hats were wading in. I tread water to the far start buoy and the gun went off in less than 60 seconds. No time to get nervous or anxious...it was just time to swim. I focused on my rotation and getting that extra bit of reach before that elusive catch. I didn't get too beat up and stayed more relaxed than I ever have before in a race. I was amazed when I made the turn around the last buoy to head to shore...what...that's it? I've never thought I wouldn't mind going further before. Of course afterwards there was a lot of talk about how the swim had to be short.

I couldn't wait to get on the bike...I just love to ride! Driving the course the night before, there were lots of turns and several nasty cracks and swells on the roads thanks to the drought. I felt good and thankful for a chance to get to play on the roads in Texas for a while. Starting out it was thick with other riders but I steadily moved up and it started opening up more. I was riding smooth and steady and strong. I know I was grinning. At about mile 22 I noticed I was falling back a bit from those I have been going back and forth with. I felt good but I just wasn't able to go as fast as my effort should have taken me. I pushed harder but was still being passed by those I had already passed...what the heck?!?! Was I getting a flat? While slowing and going up a hill I noticed a rubbing sound. I tried to survey my bike from the aero position but all the bottles and gear are in the way to get a good look at anything. The rear brake did look suspiciously close on the left side but I kept riding since i couldn't tell and thought I could just ride harder. I finally decided to pull off and adjust the rear brake. It was definitely rubbing! When I got going again I felt like I was moving again. On another hill however I heard the rubbing sound again! What the heck?!?! It was the front brake this time!!!!! Once I shifted that one I was at about mile 42. I was suddenly catching up with all the riders that had passed me. I couldn't make it back up to those I had been riding around the first 20 miles but at least I was moving again. Ugh...now I had to push on the run! I was amazed when running my bike into transition that there were absolutely no bikes racked on my rack yet. Cool!

Heading out on the run I felt pretty good. My coach told me to ease into the run and be strong and steady. I tried to settle into a quick and steady pace and just keep on keepin' on. The aid stations were great and the volunteers excellent! There were even a few bands sprinkled along the course. It was a 2 loop course and I always find it fun to make note of things on the first time around and say “I'll be back”. I love to pass by a spot again and say “I told you I'd be back!” I know...I know, it doesn't take much to entertain me. Time just amazes me. I know that whatever discomfort I am feeling if I just keep going I will pass by those places again and eventually find myself where I am trying to go.

I wish I could say I stayed strong and steady the whole run but I found myself fading a bit on the 2nd loop. I just kept chugging along but some of the athletes I had passed early on were returning the favor. I did get to fist bump Batman and warn the Joker along the course. It's not every race you get cheered on by superhero's. I was surprised when I hit the 12 mile mark and was able to pick it up a bit, what's a mile.1 after 69.2!!!!!

My new most favorite post race treat is a mango ice..Yummy!!!!! I also got to get my picture taken with a real live Longhorn. He seemed rather oblivious and bored with the whole situation but I thought it was pretty cool!

I ended up 2nd in my age group which I was absolutely thrilled with! The gal that got first flew by me on the 2nd loop of the run and there was NO going with her...you go girl!

During the awards I asked someone to take my picture on the podium and then I didn't hear my name announced. I felt a bit like an idiot! Somehow I didn't hear my name or it was mangled beyond my recognition. I was able to pick up my award and goodies later (a timex ipod control watch and fuel belt...sweet!) but no podium picture.

When I got my bike out of transition and spun the back wheel it was still rubbing a little bit. Dangit! I felt so good on that ride I would like to know what my time would have been without braking for 20 miles! Those bolts are going to get some serious tightening!!!!! It was a bumpy course that bounced around my brakes...no more!

My note to self after this race is to remember to reinforce the holes on the race # from now on. I have ripped one side of my number off of my number belt the last 2 races and it is really annoying!

The highlight of the entire weekend was getting to see Mary Eggers. I hope she will forgive me for hugging her after the race and squishing her strawberry ice!

I have a couple of weeks to hang out in Kansas and then if everything falls into place I will be off to Tempe, AZ for the Best of the US race on October 26th. It's starting to feel more and more like Fall here so I really hope I can escape to the warmth of Arizona!

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Great job Leslie!!!! Hooray for an awesome race - yep, those brakes rub don't they! That can be very annoying - its happened a few times to me, as well. Once I released the switchy thing and widened the brake and that seemed to work. The other - I had to pull over. You are SO STRONG for biking with the brake rubbing! Great job on the run - so happy that you had a great race. Will be sending you good vibes for BOUS!

Jennifer Harrison said...

WOO! Great job, Leslie! Way to have a super race! Good luck at 1/2 Max + BOUS! :) JEN H.

Beth said...

Hey Leslie! Just wanted to say that it was great to meet you in Tempe!! Congrats on a great race. Hope you have a great off season (unless of course you have more racing to do...) and stay warm in Kansas!! :)

Beth Shutt