Saturday, April 12, 2008

I aM crAZy

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jeff and I rolled into Tempe at about 2pm and headed straight to athlete check-in. I hate to admit that I was dreading the weigh in. I tend to operate on the quality over quantity method of weight. I know when the quality scales are tipped the wrong way. I am not where I would ideally like to be, but I am fine with the fact that what I've got is coming with me the entire 140.6! I was pleasantly surprised with an official weigh in of 115! I was hoping this Ironman training would get me lean and mean and ripped, but training over the winter in the basement and under many insulated layers when outdoors led me instead to get hooked on the fat free vanilla cappuccino's at the local convenience store. By golly after all that unnatural winter time activity I deserved a treat...or 2...or 3. Of course there was also the gumball addiction to feed. I did kick the dt. soda habit for the most part at least, but now that it is warming up my cravings will probably shift from hot treats back to cold. I am committed however to avoid the dark sodas with the evil phosphoric acid and stick with caffeine free options as much as possible.


Speaking of hot drinks, I was ecstatic when we pulled into our hotel and there was a QT next door! YIPEEEEEE I can finally get my fat free vanilla capp fix. It was just horrid on the road trip here. I was having such a hankering for my hot fix through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, but nowhere we stopped had the magic mix I was craving. Even though it is in the 80's and I am sweating for the first time in months, I was over at that QT just as soon as we dropped the bags off in the room!


Get this...there were NO goggles at the Expo!!!! What is up with that? I am still trying to get over my disappointment that TriSports is in Tuscon and Jeff will not drive me the 2 hours to get there and do some last minute critical shopping. I was really hoping to use my gift certificates on goggles, Carbo Pro and a white helmet! Luckily I have just enough Carbo Pro to cover my fueling, but I must get some goggles and it sure would be nice to have a white noggin protector instead of the black aero monster that I have since Sunday will be a 90+ degree day!


I did locate a local tri shop in Scottsdale that I will hit tomorrow and I'm sure there are plenty of big box sporting goods stores within a close radius.


Saturday, April 12, 2008


It's Saturday afternoon already and my bike is in transition. I am in a bit of transition myself. Transitioning from dream to reality. I am here in Arizona, thanks to Jeff and his driving expertise. I did not once have to take the wheel! Even though there was no Sudoku, I still did not get my planned uniform chafe free patch sewing done. Never fear, Mom and Dad are now here! Ironman itself is a solitary pursuit, but WOW does it take a team to make it all happen. I am so lucky to have such a supportive and loving family.


Jeff just ran up to the bike shop down the street to see if they had any cheap water bottles. I am a sentimental fool and brought the bottles that mean something to me. My favorite racing bottles and my bottles that I got in South Carolina while at Camp HTFU. I can't bear the thought of throwing them aside on the course or chopping one up to put my spare in.

YAHOOOO...Jeff located a GoodWill store with cheap bottles. I can now throw to the curb with no regrets! Although I really liked Marit's suggested solution that she would send me some cool bottle replacements to allay my fear of loss.


Next on the agenda this afternoon is to drive the course with my parents. It means so much to me that they are here. Whenever they are at my races it makes it so much more fun. I do the race for myself and for them. I love trying to find them on the course and I hold the smile after I pass them for several miles.


For dinner, much to my husbands non-delight, will be Subway. That has been my pre-race traditional meal for nearly 20 years...I'm not going to mess with that the night before my most epic event ever!


Then it comes down to mixing up my fuel bottles and finalizing all the details.


Once that gun goes off tomorrow I will finally be able to just GO...in a conservative way, Coach, I promise! I will spend the day swimming and biking and running. I will have what I have and I will deal with what I have to deal with. Sounds good to me!


Elizabeth, Mary, Jennifer, Marit, Ashley; you will all be a large part of my Iron day! I look forward to putting to the test the lessons I learned from each of you in South Carolina at Camp HTFU.


Oh Marit, I so wish you were here so I could give you a great big hug! Your words of encouragement are priceless and mean so much to me. This journey of 140.6 miles began before I met you, but you will be with me all day on Sunday. I know I will experience all ranges of emotions but with you along in spirit I will smile and laugh and be challenged to dig deeper than I ever have before. HTFU baby, HTFU!!!!!

5 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Good vibes your way all day tomorrow, my friend. Spread your wings and fly, you are amazing and have greatness in your body, in your soul.

Love to you - all day!

Mary Eggers said...

GO LESLIE GO!

Marit C-L said...

CONGRATULATIONS LESLIE!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Jerome Harrison said...

Congrats, Leslie!!! Yeah, nice job in that Arizona sun and heat!!! Can't wait to hear about your race in detail!!! Jen H. :)

Ashley said...

LESLIE!!!! A am soooo excited for you! What an amazing race you put together. I thought about you all day. Way to HTFU and kick some IM AZ butt. You athletic talents, positive attitude, and determination carried you well over the 140+ miles. YIPPEE!!!!