Wednesday, April 30, 2008

To Arizona and Back...Again!

I just returned from Arizona for the second time in the last 2 weeks. I had the opportunity to attend a Vemma training session in Tempe, AZ last weekend. It is definitely much faster to fly than drive. The hotel I was staying in was just down from the IMAZ transition area. The park and roads seemed so empty without all the barricades, cones and triathletes wandering around.


I was actually able to run on part of the course around Tempe Town Lake on my second post IMAZ run. I'm sure I was driving my friend, Karen Yokley, nuts pointing out where all the aid stations were, where I dropped my hat and it got all dirty while trying to dump ice on my head, where the run special needs bags were, etc. While running, we found out that we were on the course of a 5k run. WHAT?!?...WHERE?...WHEN? The race volunteers pointed across the lake and said it was starting in about 10 minutes. OH MY GOSH! We both picked up the pace and headed towards the nearest bridge to get to the other side. As we ran, we were both in disbelief. This was the first time either of us could remember that we had not looked to see if there was a race where we were going to be. Since I have been in recovery mode, it had not even crossed my mind. We made it over to the start area, but unfortunately we only had $17 between us which would not cover the $25 each entry fee. I wanted to run it soooo bad! I know I have no speed in my legs, but dang it, I hate to miss out! It would have been a push to run the 8am race and then make it to the conference that started at 9, but by golly I know we could have made it! Coach probably would not have approved, so it was a good thing we missed it, but I'll definitely take my disappointment as a sign that I'm ready to get back into race mode.


Since it was hot in Arizona and I wanted to wear my new $4.99 sparkly flip flops, I had to pull out the nail polish and do a little damage control. It's amazing what a little color will do! My left big toe nail is just not sure if it wants to stay with me. From a distance with a layer of pink polish it looks like a keeper. Does anyone know if it is OK to just super glue on the side that's not attached anymore?


While in Arizona I got to go to a Phoenix Suns Playoff Game and hang out in the Verve Energy Lounge. It is on the upper level along one whole end of the arena. Next season watch for the Verve signage during a home Suns game. Unfortunately you couldn't see much of the game going on below (it wasn't pretty for the Suns anyway), but there was a great view of the score board and they had big screen TV's to catch the action on. They had Verve on tap and served many different Verve mixed drinks. I just had a straight sugar free Verve which is probably why I got kicked out of a bar for the first time in my life. Not the Verve Energy Lounge, but Hooters, which is where we went after the game since it was across from the hotel. I haven't stayed up that late in a looooong time!



Staying up turned out to be good practice. My husband, Jeff, just started a new job and is working second shift so I am trying to adjust to not having him around in the evenings. He goes in at 3 and I proceed to stay up way too late! Luckily my Tuesday/Thursday morning 6am spin class was canceled (after 10 years I was a bit devastated, but now I see it happened for a reason) so I don't need to set an alarm. His schedule will make it a different year for racing. We have had the flexibility for a while to be able to take days off as needed to hit the road and head to races. He might start working four 10 hour days which would be Sunday through Wednesday. As long as a race is on Saturday, we should be able to get it in. If a race falls on Sunday I will have to go solo or find someone to tag along. I love traveling with Jeff and he really spoils me when we are on the road. When we went to Arizona, he did not have me drive once. I suppose It will be good to practice a bit of independence, and it might just force me to learn how to do minor maintenance on my own bike. The rear derailleur has always been a mystery to me, just maybe I can solve it.


Hopefully on one of these late nights soon I will go through my Ironman Notes and fill in the holes to tell the whole story!


2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Hi hi hi hi hi!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to laugh about the IM run... :) I was wondering if you would "bandit" the race - jump in without registering and just "do" it. :) Actually - you could have handled it beautifully - just the next day your body would NOT have been all that pleased with you. Perhaps its a good thing that you didnt.

Well - as for the traveling to and from races solo - I hear you on that one. It is SO NICE when you get to have someone go with you.... I totally understand. BUT - I'm planning on seeing you in October, right??? So that's one right there..... fingers crossed that it works itself out.

Things always do!

Got your phone message and I feel like the worlds worst friend! We'll just play phone and email tag!

lots of love to you!!!!!!

Mary Eggers said...

I love my Veema sister! And I swear I am going to call you back after I am done with my final!!!!!

MONDAY!

Love Mary!