Sunday, April 20, 2008

It was time...

It was time, I finally needed to do it. I googled 'fat free vanilla cappuccino calories'. I quickly found www.calorieking.com and drilled down to the details of my latest addiction.


16 ounces weighed in at 220 calories! I can't believe I have been sucking those down. I won't even take a sip of regular soda in order to avoid those evil empty sugar calories and now I am driving across town hunting for those sweet hot cups of empty calorie bliss. I suppose that is one of the beauties of training for an Ironman, calories become inconsequential. It becomes OK to feed the cravings and have the treats because your body needs it, wants it and will use it.


This past week my brain keeps telling me I need it, want it and must have it, but unfortunately my body does not need it anymore. My coach has me scheduled for a 20 minute easy walk today. Calorieking tells me I need to walk 61 minutes for my 16 ounces (which I think was closer to 20)!


Ironman was a week ago today. Last night before I went to bed I had Jeff help me cut off my IMAZ wristband. It had been in place since Athlete Check-In the Thursday before the big day. It was time to move on and set sights for what's to come and not what has been.


Today I am tired and a bit sad. It is probably just a factor of lack of movement. It is strange not having a time warp workout planned for today. I actually got to sleep in, eat breakfast and then go get the paper. It's been a long time since I have had anything other than Perpetuem and Gu for my Sunday morning breakfast.


Overall, my body feels pretty good. I've got a couple toenails that just might not hang on and my wrists are peeling where I got fried, but I have no more soreness. I've done a couple easy rides and tomorrow I will try a 20 minute run and then an easy 30 minute swim.


This past week I have have gone back and forth between being eager to get some speed back in my legs and hit the races hard this season and being tired and having doubts and just wanting to be quiet and alone. There are so many things that I put off doing because I was training for Ironman. I am really going to miss that excuse.


I still need to go though my post race notes and spend some time sorting out my experiences and learning's so I can pass them on and record them for myself to reference when IM comes around again.

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Enjoy the "down" time - although I know that you're stir crazy to get going again. You sounded really great on the phone, so full of life, of energy. This has been such a phenominal journey for you - and you have left me inspired in your wake.

Take your time, relax, and let the chips fall slowly back into place. Return to the "normalcy" of life, but remember how special this time was for you!

Gosh - I AM SO SO SO PROUD OF YOU! I still get emotional thinking about it... you did great, really really great.

Happy training - and remember: NO MAJOR DECISIONS in the next 4 weeks.... Like ELF says. This is key!

Liz Waterstraat said...

Let yourself go a little for another week. Drink your cappucinos, eat your gumballs. If you don't you'll look back and think I did all that work for...what - no gumballs? You gotta relax and just let down the guard. Gain a few pounds. Clean the house. Reconnect with friends. Racing season will come back soon enough.

Mary Eggers said...

I agree, enjoy the downtime sister. And can I tell you just how addicted I am to Veema? It's awesome!