Tuesday, April 1, 2008

One week till takeoff...

Today marks one week till we start the drive to Arizona! That means I need to make sure I have everything together and ready to go to cover every possible Ironman contingency. OK, I need to just breathe here for a minute..................................I'm back, but I'm having a tough time keeping the panic at bay. I still haven't stretched and practiced changing my spare tubulars yet, I need to chafe free some spots on my uniform with a bit of moleskin and needle and thread and then I was also thinking of adding a little flap of thin fabric on the bottom of my jersey to prevent the low back sunburn fry smile. I still need to finalize the calorie calculation and in how many bottles and what concentration will work the best. Ack...how on earth am I going to stick this all on my bike. I guess that is where the special needs bags come into play. I tend to like to have everything with me, just in case, so it will be hard for me to put into a bag what I just might need before I can get to said bag (if you saw my car you would understand...I like to have it ALL with me!). My husband just started a new job today (Yay!), but that also means that I have to do all the things that he so wonderfully usually does. I'm not so excited about going to get new tires put on my Honda Element today, but the countdown to AZ is on and it has to be done. I am also a little embarrased to admit that I need to go tan today too. I was going to go to IMAZ proud of my pale pastiness earned training over the winter in the basement, but in a moment of weakness I found myself at the tanning salon paying way too much for 4 Utrabronze sessions. 1 down, 3 to go.

The biggest crisis to date as the big day gets closer has involved my shoes. I run in Asics Gel Cumulus. It took me a while to find the shoes that my feet feel like home in. I started out my running career in Nike Air Pegasus, but several years ago had a nasty breakup when Nike tweaked them a bit too much the wrong way. I've had some success with a few other brands, but every new model seemed to muck things up. I went and got a new pair of my tried and trues but they turned out to be a reject pair (one was too narrow). I went back and stepped up on the treadmill for analysis and was told I needed more of a support shoe since I had some definite pronation going on. I know from past experience that shoes with support mess with my knees, so I don't go there. Desperate for some new shoes since my old pair were beyond dead and I didn't want to risk hurting myself with worn out shoes, I went there. I was excited because the shoes were Vemma orange and white. I really wanted them to work. The knees told a different tale however and I went back to try something different. Aha, a new Asics shoe had just arrived and it was neutral and light and would be perfect for IM! They felt good so I took them home. I had a 3 hour ride with a short 15 minute run on Sunday. After 5 minutes I had to get off and put back on the old burned out shoes. They were too narrow, I wanted to cry. My local running store that I LOVE and want to support couldn't seem to get a 7.5 Cumulus in stock and not sell it before I got there. Since now there is not enough time to order a pair, I had to do the unspeakable and go to Dick's to get my new shoes. They feel like home to my tootsies and I'll test them out on my Wednesday morning run. I'd like to wear a lighter shoe during the IM, but I also want my feet to be as happy as possible!

It just amazes me how much there is to consider with my first Ironman QUICKLY approaching. I've got a week to get it figured out and loaded up. Fortunately I've got a couple Trisports.com gift certificates to take with me. I'm sure I can find whatever I might possibly need at their store in Arizona!

4 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Hi hi!

Had a great conversation with you today - you are ROCK SOLID and will do fantastic at IM Arizona - I have no doubt.

Yes - time is drawing closer, BUT YOU HAVE IT DOWN - YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. NOW IS THE FUN PART, WHERE ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION IS PAID OFF!

For the shoes - yes, its great to support the local stores, but YOUR COMFORT AND WELL BEING are key. You need the proper footwear - so go with what works and stick to it. Good for you!

Sounds like you have your nutrition down solid. Yes, use the special needs bag for extra stuff, but like we discussed - make sure you carry the powder with you, and you'll be fine.

Don't worry about sweing extra fabric on your race kit - IF you have time, great - but it's only a smallpart of the equation. PLUS, I call my lower back tan lines "tiger stripes" - and I look at them as badges of honor for all of my time in the saddle. Ggggrrrrrrrr!

Yup - practice the tire thing, but don't stress out about it. Remember what Liz wrote in her email - don't bike too far on the right (because of debris). Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Leslie - I know its scary, and everyone feels this way before a race of this magnitude. Heck, I'm not racing anymore, and I'm still nervous.

But you're going to do wonderfully - this is YOUR MOMENT, YOUR TIME! I watched you, learned form you in South Carolina, and was amazed by your spirit, heart, dedication, passion, and love for the sport. Have fun, learn, and know that I'll be with you in spirit!

Mira (Ivanovich) Lelovic said...

Good luck, Leslie! I know you're going to be AMAZING!

Pedergraham said...

Leslie:
I end up doing the same things with my running shoes. I run in a size 8 Asics Gel 2000 series and the local independently-owned running store (which is a 30-minute drive from my house) never has it in stock and then tell me it will take 6 months to get it in!!! So, I make the 10-minute drive over to Dick's where they always have my shoe in my size in three different colors, pay less,...and feel guilty, but know I can't justify wearing old shoes or switiching models just to be a "perfect" consumer!

I will be cheering for you virtually...have a great last week to prep and prepare.
-Danielle

Mary Eggers said...

WOO HOO! I can't wait to cheer you on!